My Father’s Dragon

I read My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett yesterday with G (10), S (6), and E (4). I have seen these books recommended frequently (she has 2 others in this series), but I had never gotten around to reading them. As usual, S stopped what he was doing and came over took in all of the pictures and begged me to keep going instead of breaking it up into 2 separate readings as I had originally planned. All 3 of the kids enjoyed it. It started off a bit slow for my liking, but by the 3rd chapter, I started getting hooked, and by the 5th chapter, I decided we were going to place a hold at the library on the other two in this series.
The book is short enough that you can read it in one sitting (I took around an hour), but big enough that an independent reader feels an accomplishment after finishing.
The illustrations are in black and white. They are just enough to let you see into the authors imagination, as well as allowing you to have an imagination yourself.
I definitely recommend this book and look forward to the rest in the series!

From the back cover:
“ A group of lazy animals on Wild Island have captured a baby dragon and put him to work. The little dragon can fly, so they are forcing him to act as a flying ferry across a dangerous river. The dragon doesn’t like it.
 So goes the story that reaches a kind – hearted boy named Elmer Elevator ( “my father”). Elmer, carrying a bag of most unusual supplies, sets out on a secret journey to rescue the dragon. How Elmer uses these supplies to beguile the nasty inhabitants of Wild Island and free the dragon is one of the most exciting adventures ever.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Gasp Review and Giveaway

Forget and Now Review and Giveaway

Bridge of Gold Review